This unusual Oats and Millet Dosa recipe is all about three power packed grains coming together.Oats,Millet and Moong Beans.
And then transformed into a delectable goodness loved by all and enjoyed with a quick and easy peanut coconut chutney!!!
Sounds delicious, right?! Let’s do this..
Maintaining good health requires an intake of a whole lot of nutrients like minerals and fibers in the right amount as a part of our regular diet. For this recipe, Rolled Oats have been used which are high in fiber and are easily available.
Jowar (Sorghum Millet) is rich in B vitamins and folate.Finger Millets (Ragi) or Foxtail Millets (Kangni),can be used as their preferred choice of grains to make this Dosa or replace Millets altogether with white rice or brown Rice. But I prefer using Sorghum Millet (Jowar) as I do not want to miss the amount of proteins which is double in quantity than in rice.
Keeping the proportions constant with the other grains in this recipe we can change the different millets to get variations in taste and flavour each time we make the batter.
Moong Beans are a great source of protein and so easy to digest. These grains are rich in antioxidants too. This is the kind of meal that is gluten free, lower in calories, diabetic friendly and so high in nutrition content.
To make things a notch higher we add flavours like curry leaves ,mint,coriander and spices.
What’s even better is, it can be prepared easily, takes way less time as there is no hassle of fermentation! (Though it is still an option, we want to save on time, right?!) and also tastes really delicious.
Be it choosing something healthy for breakfast or a midweek dinner idea, these Oats and Millet Dosa can be thoroughly enjoyed by the entire family. We are looking at wholesome goodness packed into one!
Grains– Use Millets like Sorghum,finger or foxtail Millet.
Flavours -Use Mint and coriander along with curry leaves.
Methi seeds can be added to the batter.
Flattened Rice (poha )can be added during grinding .This makes the dosa really crispy.
Oats Millet Dosa
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- ½ cup whole moong
- ½ cup millets/brown rice/rice
- 1 cup water
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 1 small onion
- A small piece ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- Ghee/oil for cooking
- Soak the oats and whole moong beans, millet/rice separately in enough water for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Drain add the soaked millet/rice, moong beans in a blender.
- Add green chillies, ginger, small onion, curry leaves and cumin seeds and blend it smoothly adding ¼ cup of water in total.
- You may need to blend the whole mixture in 2 batches.
- Empty in a bowl and add the remaining water.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Heat a cast iron skillet and brush it with oil(with the help of a potato.
- Pour ½ cup of batter and spread it around.
- Cook on one side and apply ghee/oil.
- Cook till lightly golden.
- Serve warm with coconut chutney and sambar.
- Rolled oats have been used as they are high in fiber.
- 1 teaspoon of methi seeds can be used in soaking.
- For added flavour coriander or mint leaves or curry leaves can be used.