An Instant Dosa , that is wholesome and a filling breakfast idea, perfect for busy mornings. This dish makes for a flavorful delight and the healthy mix of fiber rich Jowar/Sorghum flour combined with Rice flour provides for that right amount of nutrients to get us going through the day.
Mornings are never easy, especially when shuffling between dropping kids to school and reaching work on time. And what is even more challenging is to make something healthy for the first and the most important meal of the day. An instant dosa recipe like this is exactly what we are looking for
Dosa is a culinary delight from Southern India. Traditionally made with a blend of fermented rice and lentils. This light thin crepe aka dosa, served with coconut chutney and sambar, is a comfort food that is easy to digest and is an ideal choice for breakfast.
One can choose from a wide variety of recipes to make Dosas, ranging from stuffed Masala Dosa to plain ones or be imaginative in your choice of lentils or grains (keeping the proportions constant) to make Dosas.
Unlike the conventional method of Dosa making, this recipe really saves on time (made within 30 minutes)requires no fermentation and no soaking. I chose to make this recipe with Jowar flour as it is high in Proteins and improves digestion. What we have is a gluten free dish that is absolutely delicious, takes less cooking time with added benefits that it is Protein rich, purely Vegan (if not using Ghee), fibrous and loaded with nutrients.
How to make Instant Jowar Dosa
- To Prepare the Batter the flour (Jowar and Rice) needs to be mixed with One to two cups of water or buttermilk, the consistency of the batter has to be somewhat thin( a bit runny) and set aside for 10 minutes. I also made use of Rava Millet, by adding two tablespoons in the batter to get that extra crisp but this is optional.
- Adding to the flavours (and why not!) Mint/coriander and curry leaves, combining these herbs to the batter along with chopped Onions and Chilli for that extra burst of freshness in the flavours.
- Due to the Batter’s thin and runny consistency, it will develop holes while frying on tawa/Iron skillet. Instead of filling them, add Ghee to fill in those holes.
- Chutneys, Dips or Spicy lentil powder (take your pick!)These delicious Golden crepes aka dosas are traditionally enjoyed with coconut chutney and sambar. It can be enjoyed with a variety of (lip smacking) homemade chutneys, dips or spiced lentil (chutney) powder or podis.
Instant Jowar Dosa
- 1 cup jowar ka atta /sorghum flour
- ¼ cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoon millet rava/millet semolina optional
- 2 tablespoon chopped onion
- 2 teaspoon green chilli
- 2 teaspoon chopped coriander/mint
- 1 teaspoon chopped curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Ghee/coconut oil to cook
- 1.5 cups of water
- In a bowl add the flours along millet rava if you like.
- Add onion ,green chillies , coriander, curry leaves, black pepper ,salt
- Add water and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick skillet and grease it well.
- Keep the heat to medium and drop a spoon full of batter around an 8 inch circle .
- Due to the thin consistency the batter will develop holes on the skillet .
- Do not fill those holes and drop little ghee in those holes.
- Wait on medium heat for 5-7 minutes till it turns golden.
- Remove from the skillet and serve.(no need to flip) along with coconut chutney and malgapodi.
- Though I am a huge cast iron tawa/skillet fan I chose to use a non-stick skillet for this recipe as I am very rushed in the mornings .
- Add more water if the batter thickens while making dosas.
- Skip millet rava or add normal semolina(though not gluten free.)