If you’re trying to make having Breakfast a priority this year, then this Grain free-Baked Egg with Spinach Casserole is just what you are looking for.
It’s so easy to make ahead for meal prep, just pop the casserole in the oven on the weekend, then reheat slices of it on busy weekday mornings. I even enjoy it cold too! The sharp cheddar cheese and garlic make it ultra-savoury, you’d never even guess that it’s healthy!
This grain-free breakfast casserole recipe is made with eggs, spinach, and cheese and only takes a few minutes to whip up.
You can make it ahead of time, so it’s the perfect breakfast egg casserole for breakfast, light lunch or weeknight easy dinners.
They are fluffy and light – almost custard-like thanks to adding a little ricotta.
I absolutely love the texture of this crustless quiche kind of breakfast. And the spinach and ricotta quiche on the blog is my favourite. So I took inspiration from that recipe.
The great thing about this recipe is how adaptable it is! Simply double the recipe, and pack tons of more ingredients in it!
Here’s some ideas to make an epic breakfast casserole.
- Add more veggies! Bell peppers, broccoli, mushrooms would all be great options. (I would skip the spinach in that case and cook the vegetable briefly)
- Try different cheese options. Swap out the Ricotta cheese for Feta, Parmesan, Swiss cheese, or Cheddar.
- Add some herbs. Chopped dill, parsley, or chives would make a great addition too.
Why do I love this breakfast??
- This breakfast casserole is made with 8 eggs so it feeds a big group of 4-5 persons.
- Make-ahead -make it the night before, so it’s perfect for holidays or if you have a big group of people spending the night and you don’t have a lot of time to prepare in the morning.
- Customizable-Add veggies of your choice, flavours of your choice.
- Stores well– Double the recipe and enjoy these cold with salad or soup.
- Nutritious -Eggs, vegetable, cheese, and flavour are all a great storehouse of nutrition
- Simple-The recipe is so simple. Just throw all the ingredients in the processor, empty in a bowl, and bake.
- These are grain-free, keeps you full for long, and being protein-packed is great when you are looking to lose some weight.
Baked Eggs and Spinach Casserole
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup boiled spinach tightly packed (see notes)
- ½ cup Ricotta or Paneer
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees centigrade.
- Crack eggs in the food processor
- Add spinach, and chopped garlic,
- Pour in 8×8 bakeware.
- Bake for 170 degrees centigrade for 20 minutes.
- Remove even when it’s slightly wet and moist.
- Wait for 3-4 minutes for the eggs to settle in texture as it cooks slightly in its own heat.
- Slice and serve with Potato wedges and crusty bread.
- Use boiled spinach fresh or frozen, In case of frozen spinach thaw it in the refrigerator or if you pressed for time, defrost in the microwave.
- Use the correct size for the bakeware. Big size bakeware will lack the fluffiness of the casserole while too small a casserole will keep the eggs uncooked in the center.