Sometimes less is more. Fewer ingredients and more fun,more taste,more creativity.
Edible Egg Cups (also known as Pepper Egg-in-a-Hole) give a whole new meaning to the idea of breakfast. Not only is this baked eggs in peppers recipe low carb, but it couldn’t be easier to make. All you need are peppers of your color choice, eggs, salt and pepper and whatever herbs you happen to have on hand along with some cheese if you are feeling generous. Although you could also omit those entirely.
This easy breakfast idea with eggs will be ready for you in under 30 minutes and it’s full of filling protein to take on your day. It’s also a simple make-ahead egg breakfast that you could pop in the microwave or oven, to reheat quickly. Give the cereal a break and give this morning motivator a try instead.
How to Make?
To make the peppers,slice the peppers in half and deseed them one by one.Be careful not to cut much of the membrane.
Take a baking tray and arrange the coloured peppers so that they can fit in snugly or tightly.Choose your favourite colours of peppers and make it look all pretty.
Add a little bit of chopped olive in each cavity.
Chop some basil and add those in the cavities as well.
Add mozzarella cheese one by one so that each pepper slice gets a good dose of those cheesy strings.
Crack a small or medium sized egg lightly in the cavity .Some egg white may spill but it’s really ok.
Baking time can vary as per the way we like our eggs.
Jiggy and not set -12 minutes
Soft and done-15 minutes
Well-cooked through-18-20 minutes
Baking also varies on the size and membrane thickness of the peppers.
|Fun Flavor Twists|
Personalizing these Eggs Baked in Peppers is easy! Get creative with what you have on hand, but below are a few ideas to get you started:
Mushroom, Egg & Cheese: A classic breakfast combo! Add the finely chopped mushrooms and then egg to the pepper and top with a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
Southwest Peppers: Add a spoonful of black beans to the bottom of the pepper. Top with the egg, a sprinkle of taco seasoning and cheese. Garnish with diced green onions and serve with your favorite salsa.(Remember to take large peppers to fit in all the fillings)
Pesto Peppers: Bake the eggs as written and serve with a spoonful of fresh pesto, diced tomatoes, and pine nuts.
Baked Eggs in peppers cups
Edible Egg Cups (also known as Pepper Egg-in-a-Hole) give a whole new meaning to the idea of breakfast. Not only is this baked eggs in peppers recipe low carb, but it couldn’t be easier to make.
- 8 free range organic eggs (medium size)
- 4 coloured large size peppers
- 8 teaspoons mozzarella
- 4 teaspoon homemade basil pesto (or basil)
- 8 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chopped spring onion /parsley/coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Arrange a baking pan where all the 4 pepper slices can fit in snugly.
- Wash and slice peppers lengthwise (as this gives more surface area to cook). Remove the seeds and pith from inside.
- Add ½ tsp pesto, 1teaspoon of tomato paste and 1 teaspoon of mozzarella cheese Add 1 egg in each pepper. Add a pinch of salt. ( a bit more actually for the pepper cup). Repeat for all other 7 cups.
- Bake in the oven for 15 mins. ( I like my eggs to be well done and the peppers to cooked well)
- Top it with pepper and parsley.
- Serve immediately with baked fries or bread or pita crisps or just like that.
- Coloured peppers are sweet and that is why this recipe works very well in it. In case you have only one kind please feel free to use those.
- You can chop 1 teaspoon of peppers and make the same filling in a ramekin as well.
- Feel free to add herbs like oregano, basil, coriander to the filling.
- 1/2 pepper should hold one egg which is why I suggest big peppers and medium eggs.
- Take care to deseed carefully. A cut in the skin of the pepper cups could cause it to leak.
- Choose baking time as per your taste though 15 minutes was ideal for me.