I absolutely love banana bread and this Banana breakfast cake ….Is Sheer Bliss!!.
I mean c’mon who would not like a moist, sweet but not overpowering, mega banana flavour, rich without extra butter yet so simple cake for breakfast.
How to Make Banana Cake
The recipe starts with 3 mashed bananas (above). Now, make sure those bananas are nice and spotty. As you know, I absolutely love spotty bananas. The bananas you see below are just right. More brown spots = sweeter, more banana flavour. Your cake will thank you. I simply mash the bananas with a fork in the same bowl. I use it for creaming the flours and other ingredients. Mash the bananas, then transfer to another bowl. I don’t even wash the mixing bowl– just throw everything together and mix in.
Here’s the batter. There will be some pretty lumps. But that does not mean we overmix the batter.
One more thing to note: yoghurt or buttermilk. How often do I express my love for buttermilk or yoghurt in desserts?
As you guessed, buttermilk/yoghurt is the moist-maker in this cake.
The cake wouldn’t be what it is without it!
Breakfast Banana Traybake (sheet cake, cake ,bread)
Banana Cake Ingredients
- Oats flour and almond flour: be sure not to pack your flour into the measuring cup! I suggest spooning loosely into the measuring cup and then levelling the cup off with the flat edge of a knife. Make these flours at home, it’s simple and so easy on the pocket.
- baking soda and salt: make sure your baking soda is fresh! and don’t skip the salt. just a pinch enhances the other flavours!
- ground cinnamon: I find ½ teaspoon is the perfect amount! If you prefer a richly spiced banana cake, feel free to increase it by a half teaspoon.
- ground nutmeg: just a pinch adds a nice subtle spice!
- mashed bananas: be sure your bananas are ripe!
- dark brown sugar: pack your brown sugar into the measuring cup! Light brown sugar will work in a pinch.
- yoghurt: full-fat and at room temperature!
- Coconut oil: but canola oil or melted butter will work as well!
- large eggs: you’ll need 2 large eggs. be sure to bring your eggs to room temperature!
- pecans(optional): I LOVE adding toasted pecans to this banana cake! walnuts or even pistachios would be equally delicious! of course, if you’re allergic to nuts, simply omit them.
- Bananas coins to make an equally nice garnish along with icing sugar.
Why do I prefer sheet cake for breakfast?
- It can pack in as much moisture as I wish without worrying if the cake will hold shape or fall apart.
- Cooks faster and compared to the loaf pan. Who has the time to wait when you can smell cinnamon all over early in the morning?
- More space for Icing with juicy fresh fruits !!
- No wait for cooling time.Dig in straight from the pan immediately after the cake is out from the oven.
- Its cuts and serves easily in equal sizes. So we don’t squabble over whose piece is bigger.!!
- Bake and serve in the same pan.So no washing up so more time for coffee and family.
Banana Tray Bake with Almond
- 1 cup oats flour powdered oats
- 1 cup almond flour or almond meal
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 11/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 brown bananas 250 grams peeled
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup thick yogurt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 – 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 chopped banana not so brown to make coins
- Honey to drizzle
- Peanut butter to serve
- Caster sugar to sprinkle optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Mash the bananas in a bowl.
- Add eggs, yogurt, coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla to the bananas.
- In another bowl mix all the dry ingredients like oats flour (regular oats powdered in a mixture), almond flour/meal, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well to make a homogeneous mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Mix well to remove lumps but do not overmix.
- Pour the mixture in a shallow 9’’ x 11’’ tray or alternatively bake in a 12 piece lined muffin pan.
- Top it with banana coins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade till the top is crisp and golden and the skewer comes out clean.
- Serve warm top with peanut butter or honey or fresh berries.
- Blend the oats to make oats flour.
- Blend ¾ cup of almond to make an almond meal or use readymade almond flour.
- Add fruits of your choice in the batter like blueberries and raspberries for variation and colour.