Running late for work as you kept pressing the snooze button for that extra hour of sleep! Then these No-Cook Overnight dessert-style oatmeal is for you!!
4 delicious and fun ways to make Oatmeal. And best of all its dessert style.
Plan a little ahead with these tasty make-ahead breakfast ideas that are on the go and make easy recipes for that daily intake of nutrients during rush hours.
Oats are gluten-free and among the healthiest of grains.
Oats come across as high in antioxidants, fibre, vitamins and minerals. This ensures managing blood sugar levels, reduces the risk of heart diseases and also aids in weight loss.
What are Overnight Oats?
It is one of the easiest, simple with no hassle of cooking breakfast options. These make-ahead oats recipes are especially for those who don’t have time for elaborate breakfast. The time and the effort take as much as mixing a couple of ingredients in a jar! What is even more fun is that you can be as creative as you can be, the only limit being your imagination!
Here is my very own tried and tested (not to mention, favourite and delicious!) versions of Peanut Butter and Chocolate Oats goodness in a jar!
We use the following base formula for making perfect overnight oats:½ a Banana slices +1/2 cup Oats and Milk Base + 2 Tbsp Nut and Seeds mixture + Any Flavour/fruit+Topping = Perfect Overnight Oats (dessert style)
How to Layer Overnight Oats …
Preparing for the recipe
- For the base, we are using a cup of Rolled Oats as it provides for the kind of texture needed for the base. Then we add a tin of full fat coconut milk to the rolled oats, 2 tablespoons of almond or peanut butter (as per choice and availability), 2 teaspoons of maple syrup though optional and a pinch of salt. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl, keeping it covered and refrigerated.
- Dried seeds and nuts, I love nuts! I just love it not only because of the whole amount of health it offers but also for that rich earthy robust nutty flavours. I would look for any reason to add them in my recipes. I am using walnuts, which are known to be good for the brain and heart and also rich in polyunsaturated fats, and Raisins for that soft chewy texture and mild sweet fruity flavour with loads of fibre.
- Seeds, for that extra bit of goodness, I preferred to go for pumpkin, chia and sunflower seeds along with a flax meal to make my oats recipe more filling.
Syrup/flavour, in the process I am going to make good use of the delicious nutrient date easily available which has a deep caramel Flavour. I will add a bit of this to the varied layers of my oatmeal’s mix.
Fresh fruits, use of any seasonal fruit will further add to the soulful flavours of the nuts and seeds. For these Peanut Butter and Chocolate Overnight Oats recipes, I am going to add a layer of sliced banana coins.
- Overnight Oats faqs
- How long do overnight oats last?
- Overnight oats can be prepared up to 2-3 days in advance, sometimes longer.
- Can you eat hot overnight oats?
- Overnight oats can be eaten hot or cold. To heat, microwave for ~45-60 seconds (just ensure there’s enough space at the top of your jar to prevent overflowing), or transfer to a saucepan and heat over medium heat until warmed through.
- Can you use quick oats?
- We prefer using rolled oats to make overnight oats, but you can use quick oats – they will just be softer.
- Can you use steel cut oats?
- Though we haven’t tried it, some people report success using steel cut oats to make overnight oats. They will take longer, require more liquid, and probably won’t be quite as soft. They may also be more difficult to digest.
- Are oats gluten-free?
- This is somewhat controversial as some believe even certified gluten-free oats to be troublesome for those with gluten sensitivities and celiac disease. But based on our own research and experience, it seems certified gluten-free oats make this recipe gluten-free.
- Are Bananas necessary to add as a choice of fruit?
Bananas form a base to this Oatmeal but feel free to add fruits like Apple, Avocados as a base fruit which will add body and flavour to the oatmeal.
Peanut butter and Chocolate Oatmea
This Peanut butter and Chocolate Oatmeal is a delicious and fun way to make Breakfast..!! And best of all, its dessert style.
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten free)
- 1 tin full fat coconut milk (400 ml)
- 2 tbsp almond/peanut butter
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- A pinch of salt
Seed and Nut Mix
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal (powdered flax seeds)
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup toasted almond/walnuts (chopped)
- ½ cup raisins
- Zest of an orange
- 2 bananas cut into coins
- 2 Tablespoons melted chocolate
- Chopped chocolate/cacao nibs
Chocolate Peanut butter Oatmeal One jar
- ½ a banana slices
- 2 Tbsp nut and seed mixture
- 2 tbsp chopped dates
- ½ cup prepared oatmeal
- chocolate melted
- peanut/almond butter
- Chop 5 to 6 fresh dates and keep it aside.
- Chop 2 to 3 pieces of dark chocolate in a heatproof glass bowl. Then in a pan, boil water and place the glass bowl of chocolates over it. Use a spatula to stir it slowly until the chocolate melts.
- Add bananas into a mason jar, and then layer it with 2 tablespoons of the seed and nut mix.
- Then put 2 tablespoons of the chopped dates, followed by a layer of 1/2 cup of the oat mixture.
- Drizzle the chocolate sauce on the sides of the jar
- Top it up by adding 2 to 3 tablespoons of peanut /almond butter/cacao nibs
Oatmeal Mixture +Nut and Seed Mixture (Make Ahead)
Take a dry pan and add the walnuts. Keeping the flame low stir the walnuts slowly to dry roast it until it gives out a hint of an aroma. Grate a little bit of orange zest to it (adds a little tang to the flavour).
Remove the walnuts from the flame, and taking a spacious bowl I shift the roasted walnuts in it. Then I add the raisins, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds and the flax meal to the warm toasted walnuts. Using a spatula, I mix the ingredients gently but thoroughly until all of it comes together. Once done, keep the mixture aside.
Berry Compote (Make Ahead)
Take a cup of mixed berries, preferably frozen
raspberries and blueberries. Take a medium sized pan and add the berries with 2 Tablespoons of water.
Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and bring the mixture to a boil on medium high flame. Crush the berries and reduce the flame on low.
Allow it to simmer and continue to cook for another couple of minutes until the consistency thickens.
Once done, remove from the flame and allow it to cool at room temperature.