Hands down, this is the healthiest Ok, Very healthy chocolate cake recipe on this planet! (I want you to be sold to the idea of making this cake, somehow as these are so good)Moist and with a tender crumb, this healthy cake is white sugar free, low fat ,and low calorie- but you’d never tell- Less than 150 calories a slice.
I’m enjoying a slice or two of this healthy chocolate cake.
I’ve had my fair share of ‘healthy’ cakes and not going to lie, I was VERY disappointed. Many fat-free desserts or baked goods are prone to being gummy and not overly enjoyable to eat, but NOT this cake!
This healthy cake isn’t like other “healthy” cakes out there. See, it’s made with brown sugar(no stevia) , no oil but the delicious butter, and no gluten…but you’d never tell!
The texture is EXACTLY what you want in any good chocolate cake to be- Moist, fluffy, and with a tender crumb. The taste ticks all the boxes too- Sweet and loaded with chocolate flavor.
This may be a good healthy chocolate cake, but your taste buds will have you fooled!
Bonus? It’s completely gluten free. Oh, and it clocks in at under 150 calories per slice!
No fancy mixers or kitchen equipment needed- Just one bowl and a mixing spoon. You’ll notice that this recipe is heart shaped with any frosting. Ingredients listed are for one single cake
- Oats flour– An affordable and simple flour. If you’d like to boost the healthiness of it, roast it lightly. To keep this healthy cake gluten-free you could use gluten-free flour as well.
- Walnut/Almond flour -Added proteins and good fat to the cake, but remember to blend these at home as they are easier on the pocket.
- Granulated brown sugar– Any sugar-free and calorie-free granulated sweetener has not been added to skip the calories. I prefer using brown sugar to sweeten my desserts. Coconut sugar can also be used.
- Cocoa Powder– Use a good quality cocoa powder, and sift it first to ensure there are no clumps. For a richer chocolate cake, use dark cocoa powder.
- Baking soda and powder– Gives the cake some rise and leavening.
- Salt– Enhances the sweetness of the cake.
- Apple Cider Vinegar– Works with the baking soda and adds a sweet smell to the cake
- Vanilla Extract– A must for any cake or baked goods.
- Milk – Instead of water at room temperature
- Banana- who does not love bananas in their cake. But sadly you won’t taste it as the chocolate flavour overpowers it.
- Eggs -To help in rising and provide an extra boost of protein. Skip and use ⅓ cup of sour cream if you wish.
Chocolate cake (with eggs & Butter)
- 1 cup oats flour
- ¾ cup walnut/almond flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large overripe banana
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar tightly packed
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs
- Instant Strawberry jam
- 2 cups chopped strawberries fresh or frozen
- 2-3 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ water or apple juice
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Grease an 8’’ round pan and line it with the parchment paper.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and pass them through a sieve to remove any lumps. (remember to keep the measurements exactly as mentioned )
- In a bowl mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in the whole milk and allow it to stand for 5 minutes. (we are making buttermilk)
- Mix all the wet ingredients like sugar, eggs, melted butter mashed overripe banana, and the prepared buttermilk.
- Now empty the wet into dry ingredients.
- Mix it to a smooth batter and empty into the prepared tin.
- Bake it for 60 minutes till the skewer comes out clean.
- Allow it to stand in the pan before flipping over the serving plate.
- Decorate it with instant strawberry jam.
- For the strawberry jam :
- In a pan add the strawberries, the chia seeds with water and cook briefly for about a minute.
- Add the maple syrup and mix it well.
- Cook till it reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve warm topped over the cake.