Want to go Vegan this year?
Tofu gets a bad reputation for its mild flavour, but when it’s prepared correctly it can stand up to any protein at the dinner table. From Pad Thai to Stir-fries, this easy Crispy tofu with vegetable recipes will have you asking for more.
Tofu is one of the most nutritious and the oldest foods in the world, (The oldest evidence of tofu making is a mural that shows tofu production that was dated to 25-220 AD.)
It is available in 5 textures, very soft, soft, medium, firm and extra firm. Initially when I started cooking it was quite a daunting task to choose, cook, handle and flavour tofu.
Honestly, I took some time to develop a taste for it as unflavored tofu is quite bland. This is one of the foods that is a great meat substitute and takes the flavours beautifully if seasoned correctly.
Choosing the right consistency is important. Tofu has layers of water and this why drying the tofu is very important in the pan or in the oven. Once dried the tofu acts like a sponge soaking up the sauces.
This Protein-packed food can be used in making soups, salads, stir-fries shakes, pancakes and even desserts.
I bet you if you had this Pan-fried garlic tofu, you would change your tune on Tofu!
I have always loved tofu in my dishes .
- It’s a great source of protein and low in fat.
- It’s so tender too and it soaks up all the flavour of the dish.
- It’s a great blank slate and super versatile.
- Think of it like the vegetarian’s meat, or paneer (haha)
Now, this stir-fry recipe is perfect for lunch and dinner along with rice, quinoa or noodles.
In case you make this recipe do not forget to tag us on Instagram @healthynidhi
Chilli Garlic Tofu with Vegetables
- 500 g firm organic tofu
- 1 cup red onion squares
- ¼ cup red pepper squares or any color
- ½ cup cabbage/broccoli squares
- 2 teaspoons ginger chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon cashews
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar use white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 veg stock cube
- 1 teaspoon sriracha/schezwan sauce useless as per taste
- 1 cup water/stock
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose soya sauce or tamari
- (Mix everything well till the stock cube dissolves)
- Sesame seeds
- Spring onion
- Cut tofu into medium size cubes.
- Heat and add 1 tablespoon oil in a pan /cast iron skillet and add the chopped tofu.
- And pan fry on low heat. The idea is to dry the tofu so that it can absorb sauces and get some smoky flavour.
- As the tofu is pan-frying, take another pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Make the oil smoking hot. (Use a Chinese wok for best flavours) and add the chopped onions, capsicum, ginger, garlic and cashews. Cook briefly on high heat. Once cooked add broccoli/cabbage and mushroom. Cook well till pink. No salt needed.
- Add the prepared sauce and tofu.
- Cook till the sauce starts to boil and the flavours come through.
- Top with sesame seeds, and spring onion and lemon wedges.
- Serve immediately with rice or quinoa or noodles.