Gujarat has long stretches of unspoilt coastline and an endless supply of very delicious gluten-free food. The Gujarati cuisine is not heavily spiced but slightly sweeter than the cuisines of the neighbouring states. This region has encouraged widespread vegetarianism.
These super soft dhokla with a colourful topping of vegetables, could be a showstopper for your next get together.
This dhokla recipe is
Gluten Free (skip asafoetida in that case)
Perfect Finger food
And insanely delicious
This new way of making dhoklas skips the process of cooling, demolding and cutting. You could straight up top these cute bundt dhoklas with the vegetable mixture, add the soaking syrup and serve it with your favourite chutney like coriander mint chutney or date tamarind chutney.
Soaking syrup packs a lot of flavour so do not skip the soaking process.
And in case these moulds are not available use the silicone cupcake moulds and then top these with the vegetable mixture.
I assume this method is way far from the conventional way of making dhokla, but we are not complaining!!
Some of the essentials in making a dhokla right every time
- The measurements in the recipe are tried and tested so any change could alter the taste and texture.
- Use of baking soda is advised in this recipe as this will create a light and fluffy texture, do not swap with fruit salt. Baking soda reacts with turmeric to give streaks of red to the dhokla. Add more turmeric for a brighter colored dhokla if you wish.
- Both citric acid or lemon juice works but I prefer the natural ingredient at all times.
- Prepare the steaming pot in advance as we do not want the dhokla to deflate before steaming.
- Steam for 15 to 20 minutes in an electric cooker.If using pan steam for 12-15 depending on the mould.
- Cool the dhokla slightly and immediately add the sugar syrup to soak.
If you plan to serve the dhokla after few hours of steaming,do not add the toppings,coconut or corainder,
Serve these warm or cold along with mint coriander chutney or date tamarind chutney. These taste just as good .
Dhokla With Mix Veg Stuffing
- 11/2 cup gram flour besan
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon ginger-green chili paste
- 2 tablespoon juice of a lemon
- A small pinch of turmeric
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Salt to taste
- ½ -¾ cup shredded carrot
- 4 tablespoon chopped bell pepper
- 4 tablespoon boiled corn frozen is fine
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon juice of a lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ghee/oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- ¼ teaspoon hing asafoetida
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds unpolished brown preferred
- 3 teaspoons of sugar
- ½-3/4 cup of water
- Curry leaves few
- 2-3 Slit green chillies
- Coriander leaves and fresh scraped coconut to garnish
To make the dhokla
- Put the steamer for heating
- In a bowl add 220 ml of water,ginger green chilli paste ,lemon juice,sugar,oil .
- Add turmeric and salt and mix well.
- Remove all the lumps and incorporate everything well.
- Add the remaining 30 ml of water (2 tablespoon ) to the baking soda and mix well to the batter.
- Mix well to allow the batter to lighten in colour and texture.
- Keep aside for 2 minutes till you grease the twelve 3’’ tart cases /mini bundt pan/or small 3’’ bowls .
- Take ¼ cup of batter and pour in every mould till all the batter is used up.
- Put the steamer on medium-high and steam the dhokla for 20 minutes.
To prepare the Topping
- Prepare the filling by mixing the topping ingredients together like carrots, bell pepper,corn,coconut and coriander.Add lemon and salt and keep aside .
- Once the dhokla steams de mould in a plate and arrange in a circular manner.
- Pour the tempering and allow it to soak in for 5-10 minutes.
- Top it with 1 tablespoon of topping on dhokla.
- Serve cold or warm along with mint coriander chutney/date tamarind chutney.
For the sugar syrup
- In a pan heat ghee. Add sesame seeds,mustard seeds,curry leaves,hing(asafoetida ),slit green chillies.Stir slightly to cook, though the green chillies should be perfectly green.Add sugar and water and allow it to simmer.
- Now pour this tempering on the dhokla.
- Allow the syrup to soak in for a while.
- Top it with coriander leaves,and fresh coconut.serve warm or cold