This filling, savory vegetable frittata is made with gram flour and vegetables. This batter is very versatile and pairs well with any vegetables or greens. The batter also makes quick pancakes to serve with a variety of sauces.
Not only is it delicious, it’s also easy to make with just 10 ingredients required. Let’s get started!
This Vegan, Gluten free breakfast/brunch option is far from boring. Perfect when you have a vegetarian at home who does not have eggs or suffers from egg allergies.
Making of fritatta ?
The Batter- Simply mix all the ingredients of the frittata like gram flour, water, black salt (for “eggy” flavor), baking powder (for fluffiness), and a bit of oil (for added moisture) along with flavour like oregano, paprika, and basil. Use vegan cheese if you wish in the batter and topping.
The Vegetables-Here I have 3 cups of veggies and slightly stir fried them to reduce the moisture content. The idea is to cook it lightly with a little bit of crunch. Use any veggies of your choice.
It’s all about that sauce-To level up, we have added an Express Tomato based sauce along with the frittata. Tomatoes, garlic and herbs like basil and oregano are added to enhance more flavours. Prepare these in a jiffy while the frittata bake.
Now once the gram flour mixture is ready, pour into a hot, oven-safe pan — we prefer cast iron — and top with soft vegan cheese and the veggies of your choice!
After a short bake in the oven, it’s eating time!
We hope you LOVE this easy, eggless frittata! It’s:
& SO satisfying
This would make the perfect lazy weekend breakfast.That sounds like a winning breakfast if you ask me.
While it’s delicious fresh, the “batter” also keeps in the refrigerator for several days, so you can make mini frittatas or omelets throughout the week if you’d prefer. I’ve also found that the leftover cooked frittata is delicious right out of the fridge — trust me, it’s super tasty.
Eggless Frittata with Express Tomato Sauce
This filling, savory vegetable frittata is made with gram flour, and vegetables. This batter is very versatile and pairs well with any vegetables or greens. The batter also makes quick pancakes to serve with a variety of sauces.
- 2 cups gram flour
- 1 ¾ cups of water
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- 50 grams cheddar cheese (or 1/4 cup nutritional Yeast)
- 1 teaspoon rock salt (or sea salt as per taste)
- 3 cups chopped vegetables (mushrooms, baby spinach, bell peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, white onion)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil/butter
- Salt to taste
- Extra Olive oil to brush the muffin tin
Express Tomato Sauce:
- 3 medium sized tomatoes chopped coarsely (Or 1 can of chopped tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoon apple cider/balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste/passata/tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt to taste
Method i: (Skillet Method )
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- In a warm cast iron skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil/butter and add 3 cups of chopped vegetables with garlic and stir fry lightly. (The idea is just to dry all the moisture from the vegetables as moist vegetables may make the frittata soggy )
- Cook the vegetables briefly except sundried tomatoes and add salt and paprika. Add sundried tomatoes to the cooked veggies. Allow it to cool.
- In the meantime for the batter mix 2 cups of gram flour with 2 tablespoons of olive oil,30 grams of grated cheese, chopped basil, oregano, rock salt, and salt.
- Add 1 ¾ cups of water gradually mixing it slowly and continuously or else lumps will be formed. This will give you a smooth mixture.
- Now for the assembly add the chickpea batter on top of the cooked veggies in the skillet
- Top with 20 grams of leftover cheese or some more if you like.
- Pour the remaining 1 teaspoon oil around the corners of the pan(to avoid the frittata sticking to the pan.
- Bake in an oven for 20–25 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for a couple of minutes
- Top it with extra baby spinach and cheese.
- Run a palette knife to get the slices out of the pan.
- Serve with Express tomato Sauce.
Method ii : Baking Pan Method /Skillet
To make this recipe in a baking pan,line an 8’’round pan with foil/baking paper or grease a skillet and pour the cooked vegetables followed with the chickpea batter
Choose toppings as per choice from parmesan, basil, parsley, spinach or rocket leaves.
Rock salt gives an eggy smell to the frittata which is why it is used.You could leave it out and only use sea salt if you desire.
Express tomato sauce is purely optional though a quick tomato sauce with the frittata is an added flavour.
In case you do not prefer tomato skin in your sauce opt for bottled/canned chopped tomato.
Remember to work on medium heat in the cast iron skillet and high heat may dry out the skillet and make the frittata stick to the bottom and sides.
Express Tomato Sauce Method:
Add all the ingredients of the sauce tomatoes, garlic vinegar, brown sugar in a pan and cook for 10 minutes while the frittata is baking.
The tomatoes will shrink and reduce and get mushy.
Check for sweetness and sourness and adjust as per taste.
Add more salt, sugar and vinegar to adjust the taste.
- Choose vegetables as per choice keeping the 3 cup quantity in mind to get the right crunch and moisture.
- Organic chickpea flour gives maximum flavour.