Mornings are mostly busy for all of us. Packing lunch boxes, school drop-offs, an exercise regime. By the time we reach the breakfast table we are already running late for work with minimum time to cook anything substantially healthy.
Make ahead breakfast always comes in handy on busy weekdays.
Few years back when I went gluten-free I kept looking around for gluten free granola for my busy mornings. Most of the granolas that I saw were largely wheat-based and the gluten free ones were overly expensive!! .
Eight helpings in a family of four is enough to finish a single pack of granola. That was quite a hefty amount to pay for a healthy make ahead breakfast.
Back in India, we never had granola for breakfast. Mum would always give us something warm and freshly made. She had no concept of a cold breakfast
So I knew I had to come up with a recipe which has to be delicious and crunchy like the store bought ones to convince my boys to enjoy homemade granola.
This recipe cannot get any better but you can always customize it as per your choice. I have used ingredients that are mostly in my(Indian) cupboard but you are free to substitute it with nuts and seeds of your choice.
Many of us do not like the flavour of coconut and coconut oil. It is a complete no-no for some of us. But I seriously request you to add these into your granola to enjoy a taste that is unexplainable.
Pure bliss, heaven in a bowl.
Chocolate acts as a sweetener, binder, adds flavour and is packed with nutrients like antioxidants.
Just make a big batch of this gluten free oats granola and you enjoy it for weeks. These are great for
- Great for breakfast with milk or yoghurt
- Top it over smoothies
- Evening nibbles with coffee
- Works well as an ice cream topping
Gluten Free Chocolate Oats Granola
This is a perfect make-ahead breakfast for a busy morning. Just make a big batch of this gluten free oats granola and you enjoy it for weeks. These are great for evening nibbles with coffee or works so well as an ice cream topping. I think the nuts, seeds and the chocolate goodness just seems so right…So let’s dig in
- 4 cups Organic gluten-free jumbo oats (heaped)
- ½ cup Walnuts chopped
- ½ cup Dry shredded coconut
- 4 tbsp Pumpkin seeds
- 4 tbsp Sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil
- ¼ cup Honey/maple syrup
- 1 cup Medjool dates chopped
- ½ cup Cranberries/raisin
- 1 cup Good quality cooking chocolate/chocolate chips
- Mix everything in a roomy bowl except the dates, raisins, and chocolate.
- Bake the mixture in a preheated oven at 160’ for about 20-30 minutes (see notes).
- Stir in between to get a uniform baked mixture.
- Once slightly brown and baked, get the granola tray out of the oven and mix well.
- Add dates, raisins and chocolate when the granola is still warm.
- Once these are added to the oats mixture, give it a slight stir. The chocolate will melt in the warm granola mixture and combine with all ingredients perfectly.
- I have chosen all ingredients as per my choice, however, you could improvise ingredients as per your choice.
- Salt is an important ingredient, please do not skip it.
- Keep an eye on the granola when in the oven, as it tends to burn easily. Baking time may vary from oven to oven.