Thin, delicate and perfect for filling with a multitude of toppings: these delicious gluten free crepes (French-style gluten free pancakes) are easy and quick to prepare, and make an absolutely amazing breakfast treat!
It was 9 pm on a Monday, and my son wanted some gluten free crepes. Not thick, American-style fluffy pancakes. No, the French version. The thin, delicate pancakes perfect for filling and rolling and folding
People have all these misconceptions about crepes . How they’re difficult to make, and fragile, and easy to tear, and impossible to flip… surely, then, making a gluten free version of these thin pancakes has to be an impossible task.
Not. At. All. You see, I grew up eating Indian-style crepes ,lentil pancakes aka ,cheela . They were a thing we would quickly throw together on a weekend, for a lazy breakfast. It was a DIY pancake feast, Indian style and it was always incredibly fun.
But anyway, there I was, at 9.30 pm, with my stack of… actually rather pretty gluten free crepes folded neatly into pockets ,stuffed with jam, peanut butter and bananas (greedy me !!)… and I could hardly wait to tuck into them. But, of course, because they were oh-so-pretty, I simply had to take just a few pictures.
“Just a few pictures” evolved into a full-on photoshoot – as we do, living a food blogging life. But I am actually super happy I took that time: because I can now share this SUPER EASY (and incredibly delicious) gluten free crepe recipe with you!
Seriously, you can have these crepes made in about 15 or a little more minutes! And even though they’re gluten free, they taste (and look and smell) just like any well-made French crepes or the ones I had last year in Amsterdam with a bunch of my girl gang.
The toppings… those, I leave to you. Get as creative as you want. But if you are like me and love to add oomph to your recipes, then I have something else for you. The Mix Berry Jam!!
If you have a bag of berries lying in your freezer, how about some instant berry jam.!!Of Course the peanut butter, maple syrup topping works well but this jam is so simple that you could easily make these while making crepes simultaneously. And a bit of extra deliciousness never hurts!
Gluten Free Jam Pockets
- ⅓ cup powdered oats
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour/arrowroot/all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter to cook
Mix Berry Jam
- 2 cup fresh or frozen mix berries
- 3 tables chia seeds
- ⅓ cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoon orange juice and zest
- Unsweetened Peanut butter
- Banana slices
- Icing sugar for dusting.
For the Berry Jam
- To make the jam heat a pan and add the berries.
- Add the orange juice and chia seeds and cook till the berries become mushy.
- Add honey/maple syrup and cook briefly.
- Cool and store.
- Stays well refrigerated for a week.
For the gluten-free pockets
- Break eggs in a bowl.
- Whisk well and add milk, sugar, extract.
- Add the oats flour and tapioca flour.
- Mix till all the lumps are removed and the batter is smooth.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet and add grease with butter.
- Once the skillet is warm pour ⅓ cup of batter and swirls the pan to spread the batter.
- For a couple of minutes and fill it with jam and peanut butter and banana slices in the center. Wrap the crepe from all four sides to make a pocket and serve with more fresh berries with icing sugar dusted on the top.