Have you tried the vegan veggie balls in Ikea? They are so delicious and flavorful. If you don’t have an Ikea nearby, try our Copycat Ikea Veggie Balls recipe, where we added different vegetables the same as in the original with a tasty mix of spices and herbs to get the flavors just right.
According to the packaging, the ingredients are
- Chickpeas, green peas, carrots, red bell peppers, corn, kale, pea protein, onions, rapeseed oil, seasoning (salt, dried cane syrup, yeast extract, dried onion, spices [rubbed sage, black pepper, bay leaves], dried carrot, dried parsley, natural extracts of black pepper, turmeric, and pea starch.
It is a perfect example of how vegan food can be flavorful, rich, and delicious. Bonus: nobody misses the meat here. In the old times, I always chose the iconic Ikea meatballs, but now I feel that these veggie meatballs are way tastier in comparison.
WHAT DOES OUR VERSION CONTAIN?
We tried to make it as close to the original as possible and added as many ingredients as possible. However, we opted to make them oil-free, so no rapeseed or other oil of any kind. Not to mention, we have no idea where to buy pea protein or pea starch, but we can do that without them just fine 🙂 So what kind of veggies did we include?
The heart of all dishes is the spices and the herbs aka the flavor. We tested several combinations for seasoning to make these vegetable balls taste similar. In the end, we found that this mix works the best: Smoked paprika, black pepper, and salt.
How to serve?
- Our favorite way to enjoy them is with potatoes: either French Fries,or Roasted Potatoes.
- You can also choose other side dishes like Fried Rice, or any combination of veggies
- Drop them into our homemade Marinara sauce and make spaghetti with “vegan meatballs”. You can even pop it in the oven and top it with lots of grated cheese to turn it into a pasta bake or casserole.
- Put them on a stick or skewer, add a dip, and serve them as appetizers. They go great with any tomato-based sauces like a Chunky Salsa Sauce or sour cream dips (recipe above)
Let us know in the comments what is your favorite combination!
Ikea style veggie balls
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 carrot processed or grated
- 1 heaping cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 tin boiled chickpeas water separated
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika a must
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoon oil
Sour Cream Dip
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapenos fresh or bottled
- Process or grate the carrots.
- Chop or process the garlic along with carrots.
- In a warm skillet add oil and add the chopped onions along with carrots and garlic. Saute.
- Add sliced mushrooms and allow them to sweat.
- Add the boiled chickpeas with little chickpea water and mash lightly and mix well.
- Add salt, paprika, and parsley and mix well.
- Cool and shape into balls the size of tennis balls or a tad smaller. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and place the rolled veggie balls.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes till well baked.
- Serve with sour cream dip.
- For the dip mix the honey,jalapenos and maple syrup
- Use sour cream with honey and paprika as a dip if you wish