Running late for work as you kept on pressing the snooze button for that extra hour of sleep ! Then these No Cook Overnight dessert style oatmeal is for you!!
This Mango Oatmeal is a delicious and fun way to make Breakfast. And best of all its dessert style.
Plan a little ahead with these tasty make ahead breakfast ideas that are on the go and make easy recipes for that daily intake of nutrients during rush hours.
Oats are gluten free and among the healthiest of grains.
Oats come across as high in antioxidants, fibre, vitamins and minerals. This ensures managing blood sugar levels, reduces the risk of heart diseases and also aids in weight loss.
What are Overnight Oats?
It is one of the easiest, simple with no hassle of cooking breakfast options. These make ahead oats recipes are especially for those who don’t have time for elaborate breakfast . The time and the effort takes as much as mixing a couple of ingredients in a jar! What is even more fun is that you can be as creative as you can be, the only limit being our imagination!
Here are my very own tried and tested (not to mention, favourite and delicious!) versions of Oats goodness in a jar, dessert style!
We use the following base formula for making perfect overnight oats:½ a Banana slices +1/2 cup Oats and Milk Base + 2 Tbsp Nut and Seeds mixture + Any Flavour/fruit+Topping = Perfect Overnight Oats (Dessert Style)
How to Layer Overnight Oats …
Preparing for the recipe
- For the base, we are using a cup of Rolled Oats as it provides for the kind of texture needed for the base. Then we add a tin of full fat coconut milk to the rolled oats, 2 tablespoons of almond or peanut butter (as per choice and availability), 2 teaspoons of maple syrup though optional and a pinch of salt. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl, keeping it covered and refrigerated.
- Dried seeds and nuts, I love nuts! I love it not because of the whole amount of health benefits it offers but also for that rich earthy robust nutty flavours. I would look for any reason to add them in my recipes. I am using walnuts, which are known to be good for the brain and heart and also rich in polyunsaturated fats, and Raisins/cranberries for that soft chewy texture and mild sweet fruity flavour.
- Seeds, for that extra bit of goodness, I preferred to go for pumpkin, chia and sunflower seeds along with a flax meal to make my oats recipe more filling.
Compote/sauce/Flavour in the process I am going to make good use of my fruit /berry haul to make my own homemade sauce. I will add a drizzle of this mango sauce to the varied layers of my oatmeal mix.
Fresh fruits, use of any seasonal fruit will further add to the soulful flavours of the nuts and seeds. For these four of my overnight oats recipes, I am going to add a layer of diced bananas at the base.Skip if you wish to…
Overnight Oats faqs
How long do overnight oats last?
Overnight oats can be prepared up to 2-3 days in advance, sometimes longer.
Can you eat hot overnight oats?
Overnight oats can be eaten hot or cold. To heat, microwave for ~45-60 seconds (just ensure there’s enough space at the top of your jar to prevent overflowing), or transfer to a saucepan and heat over medium heat until warmed through.
Can you use quick oats?
We prefer using rolled oats to make overnight oats, but you can use quick oats – they will just be softer.
Can you use steel cut oats?
Though we haven’t tried it, some people report success using steel cut oats to make overnight oats. They will take longer, require more liquid, and probably won’t be quite as soft. They may also be more difficult to digest.
Are oats gluten-free?
This is somewhat controversial as some believe even certified gluten-free oats to be troublesome for those with gluten sensitivities and celiac disease. But based on our own research and experience, it seems certified gluten-free oats make this recipe gluten-free.
- 1 cup rolled oats gluten free
- 1 tin full fat coconut milk 400 ml
- 2 tbsp almond/peanut butter
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup optional
- A pinch of salt
Seed and Nut Mix
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal powdered flax seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup toasted almond/walnuts chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- Zest of an orange
- 2 bananas cut into coins
- ½ cup fresh mango puree
- ½ cup mango chunks
- 2 Tbsp coconut flakes toasted
- Mint sprig to serve
- Cut chunks of fresh mangoes and blend it to form a puree (save a few pieces of the mangoes to use for topping)
- In a medium size mason jar, add a few pieces of sliced bananas.
- Add two tablespoons of seed and nut mix
- Then pour the pureed mangoes over the layers of bananas and seed mix.
- Take ½ cup of oatmeal mixture and gently layer it over the rest
- Top it up with fresh chunks of mango pieces. toasted coconut and mint sprig.
- Refrigerate Overnight
Mango Oatmeal per glass/jar
- ½ a banana slices
- 2 Tbsp nut and seed mixture
- 1/4 cup mango puree
- ¼ cup prepared oatmeal
- mango chunks for topping