Bake a batch of these Easy Pizza Muffins for the love of your kids and I am sure they will be so happy. These healthy Pizza muffins have a good dose of vegetables for extra nutrition and are an easy lunch option to pack or serve at home.
My boys love pizza, and we enjoy it often.
I also try to use the flavours in other foods as well. These Pizza Muffins have many of the same ingredients as a pizza and have bold Italian flavours. These are fun savoury muffin to have in the mix and there are so many options as to how you can customize them for your own kids!
The Express Tomatoes Sauce is again loaded with so much flavour and pairs beautifully with the muffins.
This makes it easier to pack for lunch and works really well as a make-ahead meal.
In all honesty, these do not taste exactly the same as real pizza, which my boys do like to point out, but they have similar yummy flavours. Polished lunch boxes speak volumes of their deliciousness.
And I am not complaining!
INGREDIENTS IN PIZZA MUFFINS
To make this recipe you’ll need these ingredients:
- 3 cups of vegetables
- Shredded mozzarella/cheddar cheese
- Chickpea flour
- Baking powder
- pizza seasoning
- Olive oil
- Tomatoes paste
- Brown sugar
CAN I USE ALL OF ONE TYPE OF FLOUR?
These are pizza muffins, so of course, white flour can be used and tastes delicious, but gluten-free gram flour works really well.
CAN I USE VEGETABLES OTHER THAN THE ONES MENTIONED?
Yes you can. Pizza is all about customization. Add any vegetable of your choice.
HOW CAN I MAKE THEM VEGAN?
These can be made Vegan by using vegan cheese, or skip the cheese altogether and increase the olive oil content in the batter. Cheese in the recipe is basically used to mimic pizza topping, skip if you wish. (The other cheeky idea was to secretly tuck more veggies behind the cheesy layer!!
These muffins are
- Veggies loaded
- Vegan(skip cheese /vegan cheese)
- Make ahead
- Stores well
- Gluten Free
- Easy to make (the kids would love to make these)
- And undoubtedly delicious
Enjoy these with your coffee for breakfast, and with a salad for lunch or along with your soup for dinner ,these muffins tick all the health boxes. And best of all the sauce can be used in so many other Italian recipes as well. Its a win-win situation.
Pizza Muffin with Instant Pizza Sauce
- 2 cups Chickpea Flour
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chopped basil
- 50 grams cheddar cheese (or 1/4 cup nutritional Yeast)
- 1 tsp rock salt/sea salt
- 3 cups chopped Vegetables (mushrooms, baby spinach, bell peppers, frozen corns, onion)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Extra Olive oil to brush the muffin tin
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Brush a 12 hole muffin pan with butter or olive oil well.
- In a warm skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add 3 cups of chopped vegetables with garlic and stir fry lightly. (The idea is just to dry all the moisture from the vegetables as moist vegetables may make the muffin soggy)
- So cook the vegetables briefly and add salt and paprika. Allow it to cool.
- In the meantime mix 2 cups of chickpea flour, with 1 tablespoon of olive oil,30 grams of grated cheese, chopped basil, oregano, rock salt and salt.
- Add 2 cups of water gradually mixing it continuously or else lumps will be formed. This will give you a smooth mixture.
- Now for the assembly add 1 tablespoon of vegetable mixture in each hole of the muffin pan and pour the chickpea batter on it around ¾ of it. Pour any leftover veggies on the top. This batter is exactly for 12 holes muffin pan so do not save any batter or mixture.
- Top with 20 grams of leftover cheese or some more if you like
- Bake in an oven for 15-17 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for a couple of minutes and then run a palette knife to get the Pizza Muffins out of this pan. Serve with instant Pizza Sauce.
Instant Pizza Sauce
- 3 medium sized tomatoes chopped coarsely
- Or 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoon apple cider/balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste/passata/tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat a pan and add olive oil
- Add garlic,chopped tomatoes/ fresh tomatoes or and cook for 10 minutes as the muffin is baking.
- The tomatoes will shrink and reduce and get mushy.
- Check for sweetness and sourness and adjust as per taste.
- Add salt, sugar and vinegar to adjust the taste.
- Cool.Use as required .
- Store in glass bottle refrigerated and use within a week.