Having brunch planned for this weekend with family and friends?! Thinking about adding something new to the menu, then this recipe will work for you. Quick and easy, this Spinach and Ricotta Quiche is a delicious and healthy version, bursting with flavours ,best enjoyed with coffee for a perfect brunch menu. Also enjoyed as an entrée for a light lunch with a side salad or for an intimate dinner with a comforting bowl of soup with your loved one. This Quiche truly makes for a delectable gourmet dish to be indulged in minus those extra calories and gluten.
A “Quiche” is primarily a French tart recipe but the name originated from a German word “Kuchen” meaning cake. Later the French went on to enhance the dish using their indigenous flavours and the first “Quiche Lorraine” was developed.
An authentic “Quiche” mainly consists of a “pie or a pastry crust” with savoury fillings that can be made of vegetables, cheese, meat or seafood. We can find a wide variety of recipes to make a Quiche, or even choose to be imaginative with the choice of ingredients for the filling and make an original recipe of one’s own making. There is more than one way to enjoy making and indulging in this mouth-watering French cuisine.
What makes this Quiche Healthy??
This healthy spin on “Spinach and Ricotta Quiche” is super delicious while also being wholesome and nutritious.This dish includes a filling combination of Spinach, basil, eggs, tomatoes and Ricotta cheese.
Ricotta Cheese is mainly Italian whey cheese made from leftover whey from other produced cheeses, it is granular in texture and is similar to cottage cheese variants. It has a mild sweetness to it but is considered healthier compared to other cheeses, as it contains less salt and fat.
While the other main ingredient are..
Spinach is rich in Iron, calcium and folate. It is good for eye health and reduces the risk of cancer. But despite its many health benefits, the herb is frowned upon by many, (especially the kids!) mainly due to the perception that the spinach doesn’t taste “Good” enough! But processing the Spinach with Ricotta cheese to make a Quiche that makes for a fluffy, creamy texture and robust flavours is bound to make one hungry for more.
Traditionally, bread dough is used to make the crust for the Quiche. But this healthier version has fewer carbs. I combined Oats and flax meal (grounded flaxseed) for the crust.
Oats are fibre rich and contain high Protein compared to most grains, while flax meal is anti-inflammatory, rich in omega 3 fatty acids and has soluble rich fibre. Moreover flax meal has a mild nutty flavour to it that further compliments the flavours of the dish.
So let’s get started to make the 5 ingredients for the crust and 5 ingredients for the filling, kinda Quiche in simple easy steps…
How to make the Spinach Ricotta Quiche
- For the filling, Let us begin by boiling the spinach until soft (but do not make it too soft) and chop. Using a fork, crush the Ricotta cheese into a smooth paste and add the chopped boiled spinach to it. Then add two eggs, salt, pepper, oregano and beat it well. Once done, keep the mixture aside.
- For the crust, in a separate bowl Mix oats and flax meal with two tablespoons melted butter which will form a dough like texture. Then pour the mixture into a 7 inch deep loose bottom pie dish and Spread it evenly, pressing well all the way up to the sides.
- Pour the mixture of spinach, ricotta and eggs over the layered crust of oats and flax-meal. Add chopped basil leaves and top it up with grated Mozzarella cheese and then bake for 20 minutes at 180’ degrees.
- Once the crust is golden, take the Quiche out from the oven, let it cool for 10 minutes and then demould from the pan.
It is time to serve warm salad and indulge in the wholesome, nutritious and super delicious Spinach and Ricotta Quiche for the weekend brunch!
Spinach and Ricotta Quiche
- 100 grams spinach boiled ,fresh or frozen
- 100 grams ricotta or fresh paneer
- 2 large eggs or
- 3 medium eggs
- Salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- 1 cup Instant Oats toasted
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ⅓ cup melted butter /coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- ⅓ cup mozzarella cheese to garnish
- In a bowl crush ricotta with a fork to a smooth paste and add the chopped boil spinach.
- Mix the two and crack the eggs. Beat them well together and add salt,pepper and oregano.keep aside .
- In another bowl mix the oats ,flaxseed meal and the melted butter .Add 2 tablespoons and mix well.
- Empty the oats mixture in a 7’’ loose bottom pie dish.
- Press well at the bottom all the way to the sides.
- Pour the prepared spinach mixture into the prepared oats tart shell.
- Add the chopped basil leaves.
- Top it with mozzarella cheese ,
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Remove the crust once it is golden.
- Cool for 10 minutes and demould.
- Serve warm or cold along with a side salad.