I woke up with Hawaiian dreams in my mind. Actually to be honest I woke up with Southern California on my mind – which to me really means Avocados, sun, flip flops, and having access to every type of cuisine under the sun!
This Poke Bowl recipe is what my dreams are made of!
Asian Inspired Tofu Poke!!
WHAT IS POKE?
Poke (pronounced PO–kay) means “chunks” or “to slice or cut” in Hawaiian. Poke has been a staple in Hawaiian cuisine for centuries. Traditionally, a raw fish salad that is served as an appetizer, consists of cubed ahi tuna marinated in soy sauce and sesame. There are many versions of poke, and they are not all necessarily made from seafood either;
Avocado Poke anyone?
Also, when it comes to seasonings, the sky’s the limit. You can find poke seasoned with mayo, wasabi, and even kimchi. Poke is everywhere in Hawaii, you can buy it at grocery stores, beach shacks, and even at gas stations.
WHAT IS A POKE BOWL?
Poke Bowls are easy and fun to make. It is also a great dish for entertaining. Set the ingredients on a table and have your guest make their own poke bowls.
Here are a few ideas for the perfect DIY poke bar:
The Base: White rice, brown rice, quinoa, soba noodles, leafy greens.
The Protein:Marinated Tofu.
The Sauce: Soy sauce, homemade ponzu sauce (recipe below), shoyu.
The Veggies: Avocado, bean sprouts, shelled edamame, sliced cucumbers, shaved radishes.
The Spicy Element: Sliced jalapenos, sriracha sauce, wasabi.
The Toppings: Chopped mango or pineapple, sliced pears, scallions, seaweed salad, pickled ginger, pickled onions, shredded carrots, chopped nuts, sesame seeds…. All combinations are as per choice.
TOFU POKE BOWL RECIPE
This Asian inspired Tofu poke recipe with ponzu sauce is the one I make most often at home. It is refreshing, healthy and packs lots of flavors! This Tofu Poke starts with – firm tofu. If you can find organic grade tofu at the market, go for it! Otherwise, any tofu works just as fine
As my base, I use quinoa (because who would say no to proteins?) but feel free to add rice if you like. Then you pile up on veggies and fruits! Creamy avocados, sliced cucumbers, edamame, and mango or pineapple! The combination of sweet and savory is AMAZING!!
You must have toppings! Sliced chiles, cilantro leaves, scallions, sesame seeds, and crunchy nuts, yum!
Asian Insipired Poke Bowl
- 3 cups of boiled quinoa (cooked the night before and cooled)
- 2 tbsp of soya sauce/coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp Juice of half a lemon/white rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp of mint
- 500 Grams Tofu
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup pineapples chopped in chunks
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut into halve
- 1 cup radishes,sliced thinly
- 8 pieces seaweed sheets ( bibigo brand is preferred)
- ⅓ cup light soya sauce/all-purpose soya sauce/coconut aminos(gf)/tamari(gf)
- 2 tsp white rice vinegar/lemon juice
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 2 tsp black sesame oil/or olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika/Thai chilli ( or to taste)
- Salt to taste ( in case of soya sauce does not have salt)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic (optional)
Toppings (as per choice)
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp black/brown sesame seeds
- 4 lemon wedges
- 2 tbsp mint
- 2 tbsp coriander
- Mix mint,lemon,soya sauce in the quinoa and set aside.
- Cut the tofu block in 4 equal half lengthwise.
- Wrap a tea towel to drain excess water.
- Sprinkle cornflour to coat and heat on a non-stick pan till the edges are brown and crispy.It may take 30 minutes
- Mix all the ingredients of the sauce.
- Coconut aminos/soya sauce, white rice vinegar, mint, ginger, sesame oil, paprika, salt, honey and sesame seeds.Set aside.
- Divide the ingredients into 4 portions
- Put the herb quinoa in the centre of a bowl or a plate and assemble pineapple, cucumber, tomatoes, crispy seaweeds, sliced radish, shredded carrots.Repeat for other 3 bowls.
- Top it with crispy tofu.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu.
- Sprinkle the topping of your choice.
- Mint/ Roasted crushed peanuts/Coriander/Sesame seeds/ Lime wedges
- And serve immediately.
- Make the base as per choice.White /red/black rice,soba noodles.rice noodles,
- Make topping as per choice keeping the oriental theme in mind
- Make the other assembly ingredients as per choice.
- Tomatoes, cucumbers, spring onion, radish, mangoes to name a few.
- For the sauce, black sesame oil can be replaced with extra virgin olive oil.